The Iowa Autism Council shall have and will perform functions and duties as specified by law. Responsibilities include offering advice, consultation, and recommendations to the Governor and the Iowa legislature regarding matters concerning the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) population. The role of the Council members is to advise, not advocate, for an individual position. Advice means to inform, council, recommend, suggest, or guide. This advice is based on data, facts, evidence-based practice, and good judgment.
The mission of the Council is to identify the needs of and make recommendations for improving and enhancing the lives of individuals and families living with ASD. The vision of this group is that individuals and families living with ASD have a comprehensive coordinated system for diagnosis, treatment, and support so that individuals grow to live productive, integrated lives in communities they choose.
The council shall consist of thirteen voting members. The majority of the voting members shall be individuals with autism or members of their families. In addition:
- Each of the following shall be represented among voting members:
- Autism diagnostic and research specialists
- Individuals with recognized expertise in utilizing best practices for diagnosis intervention, education, and support services for individuals with autism
- Individuals providing residential services for individuals with autism
- Mental Health professionals with background or expertise in a pertinent mental health field such as psychiatry, psychology, or behavioral health
- Private insurers
- Teachers and representatives of area education agencies
- The departments represented below shall serve as ex-officio members of the advisory council. The ex-officio members shall work together in a collaborative manner to serve as a resource to the advisory council. The council may also form workgroups to address specific issues within the technical purview of individual members.
- Representatives of the Department of Education
- The division of Vocational Rehabilitation of the Department of Education
- The Department of Public Health
- The Department of Human Services
- The governor’s Developmental Disabilities Council
- The division of Insurance of the Department of Commerce
- The state Board of Regents
The thirteen voting members are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the senate. The term of office shall be for three years, except those appointments made to fill an unexpired term. The three-year term begins on the date of the first scheduled Council meeting after the Governor makes the official appointment. Appointments shall be staggered terms of office to assure that new appointments do not exceed one third of the membership. Members can be appointed for two consecutive three-year terms. Ex-officio members and agencies may serve unlimited consecutive terms.
Interested in serving on the Iowa Autism Council? Apply through the Iowa Talent Bank website.
Meeting Dates, Agendas and Minutes
Meeting Time and Location:
10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Grimes State Office Building
400 E 14th St
Des Moines, IA 50319
June 12, 2024
March 13, 2024
Nov. 8, 2023
Sept. 13, 2023 - This meeting is a Zoom meeting only. Zoom link included in the agenda
June 21, 2023
March 8, 2023