In 2012, Senate File 2284 approved competency-based education (CBE). In 2013, House File 215 provided funding to be used as grants to districts participating in a collaborative effort toward CBE pathways for their students.
The following documents were created during the four-year pilot:
- Guidelines for PK-12 Competency-Based Education
- District Reflection and Action Planning for Transition to Competency-based Education
- Competency-based Education Resources
- Competency-based Education Glossary of Terms
- CBE Iowa Department of Education Guidance July 2019
Currently, the AEA system houses The Center, a program to support Iowa districts interested in competency-based education.