The Bureau of Iowa College Aid authorizes postsecondary schools* (Iowa Code Section 261B.2(5)) to operate in Iowa and to offer postsecondary education programs to Iowans. This authorization includes schools with an actual physical location in Iowa as well as schools offering instruction to Iowans via distance education.
Iowa College Aid ensures that nonpublic schools adopt additional consumer protections for students attending Iowa schools and Iowa resident students attending online programs.
A school wanting to offer postsecondary educational instruction in Iowa may be required to demonstrate that the school is in compliance with one or more of the following:
- Registration under Iowa Code Chapter 261B and Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 283-21. An out-of-state school wishing to offer distance education to Iowans should also refer to the webpage for Out-of-State Schools.
- Exemption from Registration under Iowa Code Section 261B.11(2) and Iowa Administrative Code Section 283-21.14
- Financial Responsibility under Iowa Code Section 714.18
In addition, a for-profit school may be required to adopt the following:
- Tuition Refund Policy - A minimum refund of tuition charges to students who withdraw under Iowa Code Section 714.23
- Disclosures for students under Iowa Code Section 714.25
The Bureau of Iowa College Aid is also responsible for Iowa’s postsecondary schools participating in SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement). SARA is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that established comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education. To learn more about this agreement and the participating Iowa institutions under Iowa Code Chapter 261G.
*School includes a degree-granting or non-degree granting college, university and other types of schools and education providers including but not limited to: driver education schools; real estate and appraisal educators; private non-degree granting allied health schools; cosmetology schools, barbering schools and massage therapy schools; schools of religious study; and other non-degree granting vocational schools.
Postsecondary Authorization Team
Schools with questions about postsecondary authorization in Iowa or require further information are encouraged to contact the Postsecondary Authorization Team:
Toll-free: (877) 272-4456