The Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program usually provides awards of up to $5,000 per year to students who age out of foster care and students who are adopted after age 16. Grant awards are sent directly to the college or university and can be used to pay for tuition/fees, room/board, book/supplies and personal/living expenses.
ETV funds can be used during the summer if the student has not received the entire $5,000 during the prior academic year. Priority for funding will be given to previous recipients then new undergraduate applicants. If funding is available after July 1 of each year, graduate level applicants may be awarded in date-received order. If a student is eligible but no funding is available, he or she will be put on a waitlist. If money becomes available, funds will be awarded by date of completed application within priority group(s). Students can receive ETV funding for five academic years or until the student is 26, whichever comes first.
Students up to age 26 who have:
- Exited foster care* supervised by the Department of Human Services/Juvenile Court Services within 30 days of their 18th birthday or later
- Were legally adopted or entered the Subsidized Guardianship Program from Iowa foster care at the age of 16 or older.
* including but not limited to group care, family foster care, shelter, and relative placement.
Resources for Foster Youth
Students applying for ETV and who will be attending an out-of-state college, must have the college:
- Complete a W-9 and return to the address or email below
- Complete an ETV Enrollment Verification (pdf) each term
Bureau of Iowa College Aid
400 E. 14th St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
P: 877-272-4456 Option 3
October 1, 2022 – December 1, 2023: 2023-24 Iowa Financial Aid Application available
October 1, 2023 – December 1, 2024: 2024-25 Iowa Financial Aid Application available