- Cognitive Rigor and Depth of Knowledge - Use the Hess Cognitive Rigor Matrices curricular examples with most close reading or listening assignments or assessments.
- Common Core ELA: Appendix B - Find exemplars of reading text complexity, quality, and range & sample performance tasks related to the CCSS.
- Common Core Implementation Videos - Watch a series of video vignettes commissioned by the Hunt Institute and the Council of Chief State School Officers that explain the Standards.
- Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Scaffolding Documents - Provides teachers with a deeper understanding of the Standards as they plan for classroom instruction.
- Edutopia - Provides a comprehensive list of resources for understanding the CCSS.
- From Common Core to Curriculum - Explore five big ideas about the CCSS and possible misconceptions that happen when teachers are using them to design curriculum with Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins.
- Explore the Iowa Core Literacy Standards
- Iowa Academic Standards K-12 ELA Vertical Progression - Provides a vertical view for educators to see how each standard changes and builds from grade-to-grade as students progress towards career and college readiness.
- Highlighted Version of the Iowa Academic Standards K-12 ELA Vertical Progression
- Skinnying the Standards - Read Sarah Brown Wessling’s blog post on making the Standards accessible on a day-to-day basis for teachers and students.
- Teaching Channel Videos - Visit the video library which allows educators to filter by topic and subject area; access Common Core English language arts videos to assist in understanding and implementing the Literacy Standards.
- Engage NY Common Core Shifts - Describes in detail the six instructional shifts needed to implement the CCSS effectively.
- Engage NY Video Series: Common Core in ELA/ Literacy - Gain a deeper understanding of the rationale behind the CCSS and what it means for students.
- Key Shifts and Impact on EL Instruction - Discusses the critical implications for English learners.
- The Shifts - Describes how the CCSS raise expectations across multiple areas of the educational experience.
- 'Both and' Literacy Instruction (Grades K-5) - Discusses foundational literacy practices, reading comprehension, and volume of reading.
- Cognitive Science Behind the Common Core - Offers a review of the research base of the Standards and findings that the CCSS promote higher student learning.
- Student Achievement Partners - Find critical research supporting the CCSS.