On this page...
What is Iowa e-Learning Central?
Iowa e-Learning Central is an online exchange for Iowa educators, students, and families that supports their collective efforts to engage in high-quality online learning. It has three primary components:
- Resource Library - Provides a place for educators, families, and students to access expert-developed resources and supports that help them be successful partners in the online learning process. This component also serves as a mechanism for these groups to provide ongoing feedback.
- Course Repository - Serves as a repository to access high-quality course and unit content developed by Iowa-licensed educators for classroom use. Content will expand across all grade levels and disciplines, can be used online or in the classroom, can be adapted to meet local needs or taught as is, and is available to any school across the state.
- Student/Course Exchange - Facilitates sharing of online courses so schools can offer their open seats to students in other schools or find seats needed for their students. New for the 2022-23 school year.
Portal Questions & Answers
Iowa e-Learning Central Overview and Question/Answer Webinar - Recorded 1-18-22. Provides a brief overview of Iowa e-Learning Central and answers participant questions. PowerPoint Slides from webinar.Back to top
Aids Students, Educators and Families
Iowa e-Learning Central provides flexibility to support all Iowa schools. It addresses two statewide needs vital to the success of our students, educators, and families. The first is a newly identified need that was brought to light with the COVID-19 pandemic: the need for accessible, evidence-based supports and resources not only for students to be successful in their studies (whether that’s in-person or online), but for educators and families to support their students in their learning. The second identified need is access to high-quality content, regardless of a student’s location in the state.
Iowa e-Learning Central Can...
- Expand access to high-quality course and unit content that aligns with Iowa’s academic standards, giving schools the flexibility to use, modify, and incorporate the content to best meet the needs of their students, families, and communities.
- Allow schools to download the content they need from the exchange, as they need it, to design interactive and collaborative in-person or online courses for use in their classrooms.
- Include content designed to be led and facilitated by educators locally in their classrooms (online or in-person).
The big-picture vision is to offer educators richer content to bring into their classrooms and expand opportunities and support for Iowa students and families.Back to top
Flexibility to Help All Iowa Schools
Districts and nonpublic schools using Iowa e-Learning Central can choose which courses to offer or select units to use in an existing course. Students participating in Competent Private Instruction (CPI) may also request courses or units through their district. It is all up to the needs of each school and the students it serves. Using Iowa e-Learning Central is completely voluntary.Back to top
Iowa e-Learning Central is supported by one of the federal Education Stabilization Fund – Rethink K-12 Education Models (ESF-REM) Grants, which were authorized under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.Back to top