Related Topics:

Additional Support

Requirements - First Issuance

Held or eligible to hold an Iowa teaching license. 


5 years


Substitute teach for a contracted teacher out on leave in any subject grades PK-12. May serve in one position up to 90 days (long-term sub). Cannot fill open positions. 


One renewal credit chosen from the following options: 

  • verification of at least 30 days of substitute teaching (obtain a letter from the district(s)) - OR
  • one year of teaching experience - OR
  • one renewal credit course  

The renewal credit option chosen needs to have been completed during the term of the substitute license or be no more than five years old if the license has expired.

Mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse is also required.


Verification of a Master's degree or higher, at least 10 years of PK-12 licensed experience, and the mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse.



Yes - if more time is needed to complete renewal requirements.

Other Information

Applicants prepared at a non-Iowa college will use a different application than those prepared at an Iowa college or applicants already licensed to teach in Iowa.

First Application for an Iowa Substitute license (out of state Institution, not seeking full teaching license) slide presentation

Educational Licensure Office & Staff Directory

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Office Location:
701 E Court Ave,  Suite A
Des Moines, IA  50309

Iowa Board of Educational Examiners Office