Iowa Speech-Language Services are provided by a statewide system of Area Education Agencies (AEAs). Each AEA has oversight of all special education services, by a Director of Special Education, to implement federal and state requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 2004 (IDEA).
The Iowa Department of Education (Department) provides support to the AEAs and statewide implementation of special education Speech-Language Services for children and students birth to 21.
In addition, an AEA Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) Statewide Leadership group meets three times each school year to develop, implement, maintain and continuously improve a system of speech-language services. A designated AEA SLP, supported by the Department, facilitates the SLP Statewide Leadership meetings. AEA Directors of Special Education designate a representation to participate in meetings and implement quality speech-language services for children and students throughout the state of Iowa.
Information regarding Speech-Language Services can be found by accessing the following AEA websites:
- Central Rivers
- Prairie Lakes
- Mississippi Bend
- Grant Wood
- Green Hills
- Great Prairie
The AEA SLP Statewide Leadership group prioritized six areas to develop for technical assistance guidance and professional development training.
- Telepractice Training and Resources
- SLP Functional Assessment
- SLP Interventions
- AEA SLP Statewide Annual Report
- SLP Resource Manual
- Complex Speech Sound Production
- Licensure for Educational Speech-Language Pathologists - Describes Iowa licensure options for speech-language pathologists working in educational settings.
- Iowa Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ISHA) - State association that promotes speech-language and hearing as an area of science and as a service profession.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) - National association that provides information for professionals, parents, and students for speech, language, and hearing related disorders.