On this page...
Early Literacy Implementation (ELI)
ELI Screening Guidance for Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing - Guidance to help individualized education plan (IEP) teams choose an approved assessment for ELI screening.Back to top
Any person providing sign language Interpreting, regardless of title, must hold an active Iowa license.
2022 Guidelines for Educational Sign Language Interpreters and Transliterators - Provides general information for interpreters and about the use of interpreters in a school setting. Specifically, this document provides support to local school districts, interpreters,* parents, students who are deaf or hard of hearing, and other members of an educational team in understanding interpreter qualifications, roles, responsibilities, and ethical conduct.
*Please note that interpreters contracted with school districts from outside agencies are expected to adhere to the guidelines in this document.
- Appendix A: Licensure Requirements for Educational Interpreters in the State of Iowa
- Appendix B: Sample Interpreter Job Description
Expanded Core Curriculum
In addition to the essential skills and concepts of the Iowa Core, students who are deaf or hard of hearing have specialized needs not covered in the general education curriculum. The purpose of the Expanded Core Curriculum for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (ECC-DHH) is to be a resource for IFSP and IEP team members when developing educational plans for a student who is deaf or hard or hearing. This tool is designed for teachers of students who are deaf or hard of hearing and education audiologists to address these identified areas that are either not taught or require specific and direct teaching. The intent of the ECC-DHH is to be a framework for addressing unique needs of students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
The following seven documents comprise the ECC-DHH and accompanying resources:
- Expanded Core Curriculum (ECC) for Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (DHH)
- ECC-DHH Iowa Core Alignment
- ECC-DHH Checklist
- ECC-DHH Needs Assessment
- ECC-DHH Worksheet
- ECC-DDH Assessments
- ECC-DHH Assessment Matrix
Achievement Data ReportBack to top
- ASK (Access for Special Kids) Resource Center - Iowa's parent training and information center for families of children with disabilities
- Described and Captioned Media Program (DCMP) - A free resource for families
- Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI)
- Educational Interpreting
- Family and Educator Partnership (FEP)
- Iowa Board of Sign Language Interpreters and Transliterators
- Iowa Hands and Voices
- Iowa State Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (ISRID)
- Iowa School for the Deaf
- Iowa's Deafblind Project