Requirements - First Issuance
Associate's degree or 60 semester hours or higher and the completion of an approved substitute authorization course. You can download an Instruction Sheet for help completing the application.
Substitute teach for a contracted teacher out on leave in any subject grades PK-12. Cannot serve as a long-term substitute. Limited to 10 days in a row in a 30-day period in the same assignment. Cannot fill open positions.
Paraeducators who hold a paraeducator certificate with the limited substitute authorization may serve as a substitute only in their own special education classroom. If the paraeducator holds a full substitute authorization, they may serve as a substitute teacher in any classroom except driver’s ed.
Verification of a Master's degree or higher, at least 10 years of PK-12 licensed experience, and the mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse.
Yes - if more time is needed to complete renewal requirements.
The easiest way to find the providers is to google Iowa substitute authorization course.
- All Iowa AEAs have the substitute authorization program
- Iowa Substitute Teaching Authorization Virtual Instructor Led (by zoom and online): The AEA has a spreadsheet of their statewide course offerings. The AEA maintains this spreadsheet, so please be sure to follow up with the individual AEA to verify course time, date and availability.
- Iowa Substitute Teaching Authorization Self-Paced Course: Complete the course in 15 hours at your own pace online.
- NIACC - contact Theresa Price
- Eastern Iowa Community College - contact Heather Neavor
- Buena Vista - contact Jamie Mullen
- Iowa State University - contact Teresa Kahler
- Iowa Western Community College - contact Kelly Stuckey