The At-Risk Task Force, established by SF560, will study the following:
- How schools currently use state funding for programs for at-risk students and dropout prevention programs.
- The effectiveness of programs for at-risk students and dropout prevention programs.
- Whether and to what extent state funding for programs for at-risk students and dropout prevention programs should be reallocated to direct intervention by a jobs for America's graduates specialist.
- How to best use state funding for programs for at-risk students and dropout prevention programs.
The task force will submit its findings and recommendations to the general assembly in a report by Dec. 31, 2023.
Public Comment on Proposed Recommendations
The Iowa Department of Education is seeking comment on recommendations from the At-Risk Task Force regarding drop-out prevention programs and other programs that serve at-risk youth.
Responses from the public comments survey will be collected through Dec. 1. The At-Risk Task Force will consider all public comments before finalizing its recommendations, which are due to the general assembly by Dec. 31.
The At-Risk Task Force will have a virtual listening session on Tuesday, November 28 from 10:00am-11:00am. Task force members will be seeking verbal feedback on the draft recommendations.
Definition of at-risk
Iowa Administrative Code defines an at-risk student as “any identified student who needs additional support and who is not meeting or not expected to meet the established goals of the educational program (academic, personal/social, career/vocational). At-risk students include, but are not limited to, students in the following groups: homeless children and youth, dropouts, returning dropouts and potential dropouts.”
Meeting Dates & Agendas
Dec. 8, 2023
Nov. 17, 2023
Nov. 2, 2023
Oct. 25, 2023
- Willie Barney, Instructional Leadership Director - North Region, Davenport CSD
- Joshua Baxter, Alternative Services Teacher, Carlisle High School, Carlisle CSD, President of the Iowa Association of Alternative Education
- Kim Davis, Principal, Walnut Creek Campus, West Des Moines CSD
- Jeff Hawkins, Associate Superintendent, Ames CSD
- Wendy Mihm-Herold, President and CEO, Iowa Jobs for America’s Graduates
- Theron Schutte, Superintendent, Marshalltown CSD
- Matthew “Chuck” Tonelli, Science Teacher, Metro High School, Cedar Rapids CSD, Former President of the Iowa Association of Alternative Education