The Iowa Department of Education announced today that over $600,000 has been awarded to 19 Iowa schools to help support computer science professional development.
Established by Senate File 274, the Computer Science Professional Development Incentive Fund offers Iowa school districts and accredited nonpublic schools with the opportunity to strengthen their ability to provide high-quality computer science instruction. Schools may apply for funding assistance for either proven computer science professional development activities or tuition reimbursements for teachers seeking computer science endorsements.
“The Computer Science Professional Development Incentive Fund is a great opportunity for Iowa schools and teachers to build their computer science capacity,” said Justin Lewis, computer science consultant at the Iowa Department of Education. “Computer science professional development opportunities not only help teachers build their skills, knowledge and confidence, they also help foster lifelong learning and excitement in the classroom.”
Awards for computer science professional development have been issued annually since fiscal year 2018-19. Iowa schools can still apply for funding assistance for computer science teaching endorsements through May 31.
The 2023-24 Computer Science Professional Development Incentive Fund awardees include:
- Ankeny Community School District
- Boyden-Hull Community School District
- Indianola Community School District
- Lawton-Bronson Community School District
- Osage Community School District
- Pella Community School District
- Perry Community School District - Perry Elementary School
- Perry Community School District - Perry Middle School
- Sioux Center Community School District
District Professional Development Grants
- Fort Madison Community School District
- Iowa City Community School District
- Maquoketa Community School District
- Shelby County Catholic School
- Sheldon Community School District
- St. Albert Catholic School
- St. Malachy Catholic School
- St. Patrick Catholic School
- Van Buren County Community School District
- Whiting Community School District
For more information about the Computer Science Professional Development Incentive Fund, visit the Department’s website or contact Justin Lewis at email@example.com.